Cerebral Shangrila

Monday, August 04, 2003

ENCOUNTERS OF A DIFFERENT KIND (THANKS TO SPIELBERG FOR THE TITLE!!)

Hey ,"which class do you study?". A very harmless Question in most cases but not certainly when it is asked to me. I did not know what prompted him (The Him in Description was a 30 Year Old , cigaratte smoking Stranger at the basement of a friend's apt ) to ask this question to me ( Since I always roam around in a T-shirt & shorts , I could take some reassurance !!) ? . I told him that I don't study in a school & that I work. He said since the novel I was holding was a Comics ( Once he again he was mistaken since it was P.G.Wodehouse Novel with a cariacature of jeeves & Wooster on cover which he had presumed as comics) , he had asked that question. I told him it was not a comics & it was a novel and told him the author , whom he didn't know. He then quickly had a look at the Novel and asked me if I was a member at the British Council Library . I answered a smug "yes" . He asked me If I knew when the Orientation session was scheduled for Indian Travellers to UK . I told him , I was just a member at BCL and didn't work there . He then proceeded to tell me that he was heading for UK next week ( I presume he must be a software engineer , because they are the only tribe with such pompous attitude & nil literary knowledge !!) . I gave him the BCL phone numbers & website address and in return didn't even get a Thanks.

Its definitely a strange two minute encounter , but leaves a lot of questions unanswered about manners & changing attitude these days !!...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home