Cerebral Shangrila

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

INDIA & WESTERNISATION

Found these interesting quotes by two of India's leading global ambassadors.

" With all my love for India and with all my patriotism and veneration for the ancients, I cannot but think that we have to learn many things from other nations…. We cannot do without the world outside India; it was our foolishness that we thought we could, and we have paid the penalty by about thousand years of slavery. That we did not go out to compare things with other nations did not mark the workings that have been all around us, has been one of the great causes of this degradation of the Indian mind. We have paid the penalty, let us do it no more." -- Swami Vivekananda

"I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any." -- Mahatma Gandhi





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home