Cerebral Shangrila

Saturday, December 20, 2003

LOVE STORY - ERICH SEGAL

Was doing a Quiz today on first lines of famous Books,when I recollected this incident.

A few years ago when I was in the US , I had gone to meet my cousin in Salt Lake city. I was very tired after driving all the way from San Jose, California to Salt lake city , Utah. I asked her if she had anything light to read before I dozed off to sleep. Her Roomie gave me the book Love Story. But when I started reading it , I was hooked. The first lines of the Book just caught me by the scruff and I went to sleep only in the early hours of the morning after completing the book in one sitting.

Its a wonderful love story powered by the excellent narrative style of Erich Segal with some memorable dialogues first person narrative brought a whole new meaning & understanding to the book and will stand etched in my memory for years to come.One's understanding of love & life is likely to undergo a definite transformation once one has finished reading this book.No other book makes you Laugh & Cry at the same time and it leaves you with a multitude of emotions at the end.Oliver & Jenny will remain immortal forever as the Ultimate fictional lovers.

Here are the starting lines of that Book :

What can you say about a 25 year old girl who died? That she was beautiful and brilliant. That she loved Mozart and Bach. And the Beatles. And me. Once, when she specifically lumped me with those musical types, I asked her what the order was, and she replied, smiling, "Alphabetical." At the time I smiled too. But now I sit and wonder whether she was listing me by my first name-in which case I would trail Mozart-or by my last name, in which case I would edge in there between Bach and the Beatles. Either way I don't come first, which for some stupid reason bothers the hell out of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home