Cerebral Shangrila

Friday, January 16, 2004

In Love with Mumbai Trains

Was seeing this colorful pictures of Mumbai trains when I fondly remembered my Mumbai days. I just adore the Trains !! . Particularly the Locals in Mumbai . They come packed with Crowds mostly five times their capacity during peak hours but hold an unknown fascination for me .

Right from the Railway stations ( The first time I saw Dadar station I was flabbergasted becos that was the first time in my life I was seeing so many platforms !! ) , to the ticket counters ( I once stood in a queue in Thane for 50 minutes to travel to Ghatkopar - A journey of 15 minutes !!) , The announcers ( Always found that the female announcers had a much cute patient way of announcing ) , The crowds ( The eternal Mumbai joke : there are only two differences between traveling by first class & second class in Mumbai Local Trains . The first difference is people put on deodorant in first class & they invariably don't in Second & people swear in English/Hindi in first class and in Marathi in second Class !! ) .

I would have easily won the frequent traveler award had there been one during my two years in Mumbai since my work used to take me all around Mumbai everyday in the Trains. The first day I took the Train , I learnt the most valuable lesson viz. never wear slippers . I later also learnt the art of moving with the crowds , traversing from one entrance to other (Since platforms alternate between Left & right) , Choice of Slow Vs Fast trains , The art of reading a Newspaper/magazine when there are 20 people in 1ft circumference around you . The beautiful stations of Navi Mumbai ( I used to joke that Jui Nagar railway station is better than Sahar International Airport !!) to the fast trains of Western Railway to the Long trains in Central Railway .

I miss all this fun now . Mumbai train memories I am sure I will cherish fondly forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home