Cerebral Shangrila

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Alternate Careers - Part-1

I always keep wondering what I would have become had I not entered the IT Industry ( The IT Industry would definitely have been better off !! ) . Never at any point in my career was I fascinated by computers and it just turned out to be an accident. This series of posts is just an attempt to travel back in time and find out the ambitions I had at different phases in my career and a dig at myself.

I was in the 7th Standard when we relocated from T.Nagar to Nanganallur (An orthodox Suburb full of temples) in Madras. The new School , Chellammal Vidyalaya was one of the best things which happened to me. It was a very small School compared to my earlier School (Adarsh School in T.Nagar) and thus gave me a lot of cultural & academic freedom/oppurtunities to pursue.

My favourite subject at school turned out to be History. Since I used to be a voracious reader of Amar Chitra Katha,Poonthalir & Tinkle , I was very good at the subject knowing a lot of branch stories (Literal Translation of Kilai Kathaigal !!). . I also happened to listen to a Tamil Drama " Tughlaq" by Cho and was very inspired by the character Ibin Batutah (a Persian Historian in the play) . At that point I decided I wanted to become an Historian . I didn't know what Historians do (Probably still don't !) but nevertheless decided it was my dream. I was a big hit at School with the Historical Dates,Tales & folklore all of which lasted till 10th standard. By that time i realized there was no career worth pursuing in history and it was a quite goodbye to History.

On a positive note my fascination with history has still continued and helped me a lot during my numerous travels across India .

More on the next fascination .........................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home