Cerebral Shangrila

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Tamil - Part-2

Happy Tamil new Year everyone (Iniya Tamizh Puthaandu Nalvaazthukkal) . Continuing with my yesterday's post , a few more thoughts on the language. Since I studied in CBSE , we had no language subject after 10th Standard and my ties with the language slowly began to wane. Except for the magazines I used to read , I hardly read any serious stuff in the language . I used to read a lot of English Fiction when I was in School & College and it never occured to me at that time that I was missing out a lot by not reading anything in Tamil.

Years later after I started working , I attended a Book fair during one of my Chennai visits.I happened to see Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan at the Book fair and decided to buy it after having heard a lot about it from my Grandmother. That was a turning point. I was hooked to that Novel. Beautifully sketched Characters ( Vandhiya Thevan & Aazhvaarkku Adiyan almost lived with me for a few months after reading the book ! ) & rich vivid imagination marked Kalki's prose . I later bought the entire set of Kalki's collections including Sivagamiyin Sabatham,Paarthiban Kanavu,Kalvanin Kaathali,Thyaga Bhoomi. I also started reading other Tamil humorists like Devan & Saavi. Also later became interested in Poetry and started off with Modern poets like Bharathiar,Kannadasan & Vairamuthu.

The language as it exists today has changed a lot. The Tamil Cinema & Television have competed very well with each other in slowly killing the language ( The TV Tamil is a unique tamil where you get to hear one tamil world after nine english words , Cinema has been responsible for making Chennai slum tamil a standard and making expletives popular to the Nation ). There have been some concerted efforts to save the language but with increased tendency among the urban people to switch over to english , the language faces a lot of Challenge. However some of the best Tamil is spoken abroad at Sri Lanka or Singapore/Malasiya where the spirit is still alive.Let us hope the tamil Language survives the challanges and continues to thrive in the centuries to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home