Cerebral Shangrila

Friday, June 25, 2004

Nanganallur has changed

This was perhaps a big surprise.As I drove my two-wheeler down the Subway,I was mentally prepared to negotiate the bad roads.But surprisingly all the raods had been relaid (Thanks to the elections) and looked great.Nanganallur(a suburb of Chennai) is where I spent a little more than 10 years and most of my school/college life.It is famous for two things - Temples & Bad roads.Its a wonderful well-knit community of religious people (mostly middle class & upper middle class) with a flair for education and fine arts.

So much has changed.There are so many ATM's abound (I remember the good old days when I used to bicycle to the market and stand in a Queue in the Bank to withdraw/deposit money) and retailers like Foodworld & Subiksha.Thanks to the famous 32-feet Anjaneyar (Hanuman) temple and a host of other temples, it has become a mini pilgrimage centre.

Things have changed from personal front too.I used to visit my Thatha & paati (Grandfather & grandmother) everytime I visit Chennai.Now that house wears a
deserted look.My grandmother lives alone there (Grandpa expired a few months ago) .That house is a testimony to my Thatha's hardwork and love and he never left that place during his stay of
20 years there.He was the house and the house was him.Now only his photos adorn the wall.Time is cruel sometimes.Because you can't rewind it at your will.

3 Comments:

  • Nostalgia will stike big time.....im preparing myself for my trip home, because a lot of things have changed....hope u have fun in singapore.....one piece of advice.....dont take basic finance and finance management together.....rather take accounting and finance together......fin mgmt can be done in second sem after basic is done.....

    By Blogger kaatss, at 12:42 PM  

  • Karthik , Thanks a lot for the advice.That is what others keep telling me too. FM seems is one of the tougher subjects.

    By Blogger Cogito, at 2:24 PM  

  • Arun, Yes Nangainallur has changed big time, have a good time in Munnar.

    By Blogger Srihari SN, at 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home