Cerebral Shangrila

Monday, July 05, 2004

Marlon Brando - Obituary

It was just two days before Marlon Brando died.I was talking to my sister and told her I wanted to see the movie
"Streetcar named desire" (The film based on The famous Tennesse Williams play) and asked her where I could get that DVD/VCD in Chennai.She responded with her usual acerbic remarks about my eccentric movie choices." Why do you have such strange movies as choices ? Anyway I don't think you will get that movie in Chennai" was what she said."Anyways , What is special about that movie ?" she asked , and I just had one word as a response " Marlon Brando " .

Marlon Brando redefined acting when he burst into the scene.In an age of Charismatic,charming stars like Cary Grant,Gregory Peck,Clark Gable , here was a serious actor who effortlessly morphed into the characters he portrayed.I first saw his performance in the immortal mafia saga " Godfather" . Its tough to imagine anyone else than Brando as Don.Another memorable performance of Brando was in the movie " In the Waterfront" (The first angry young man) .I had also read about his eccentricities &
whims (he was notorious for it) in a book by Desmond Morris. The spell cast by Brando in the arena of acting was immense.Not just in Hollywood but everywhere .Be it Dilip Kumar or Sivaji Ganesan or Kamlahaasan (Velu Nayakan perhaps was a tribute to Brando)many Indian film stars have been influenced by Brando's " Method" style of acting.

Its rare to see great actors like him.perhaps, they come once in a century.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home