Cerebral Shangrila

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Diwali - Past,present & future

Nostalgia at times is dangerous.It seeks to change a world which stubbornly refuses to do so.

Diwali - The past : We used to order sweets & crackers from my dad's office. The amount of crackers purchased was an issue of well-being & prestige . The oil bath in the morning at 4 am was a custom and I used to burst crackers till 8 am and then visit my grandparents house where a sumptuous lunch would await me.

Later during my high school & college days I became a "Diwali entrepreneur" in partnership with my cousin. We used to source crackers directly from Sivakasi and sell it in the neighbourhood and make a tidy profit of Rs.1000 & above (a great sum for a student).

The Present (Last 8 Years) : I send mails to everyone in my address book wishing them " Happy diwali" . Ha, haven't even met some of them in the last 5 years. I burst crackers on the internet and crib how good the old days were.

The Future : ? ???

3 Comments:

  • before : Real
    Present: Virtual
    Future: ???

    By Blogger ILA (a) இளா, at 6:39 PM  

  • The "oil bath" issue could be explained a bit more, so that your non-Indian readers' eyes boggle less at the image....

    By Blogger Bogatyr, at 8:28 AM  

  • Ila, you are right .

    Carp, "Oil Bath" is an interesting custom where we apply Oil to the entire body and then apply a "cleansing agent" called Shikai to remove the oil.The Oil bath brings down the body heat and also creates a refreshing feeling .

    By Blogger Cogito, at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home