Cerebral Shangrila

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

A few academic Happenings

The new trimester commenced last week. I have Chosen five subjects in this trimester.

1. Enterprise Systems : Provides a managerial view of ERP and has a lots of hands-on lab exercises in SAP.
2. Organisational Behaviour : A very important subject in the long run. How to manage,motivate people and also provides insights into Behaviour of Humans in Organisations.
3. Mergers & Acquisitions : The title says it all. We have a Great Prof ( An Harvard MBA) who ran an M&A firm for many years and who has done US$ 1 billion plus deals.
4. Marketing Management : A very interesting subject and once again the Prof seems good.What is MBA without marketing ?
5. Managerial Accounting : This is mainly " Costing" (ICWA eqvt by Indian standards). The prof is extremely humorous and course deals more with Strategy than mere numbers.

If you observed, I have chosen very little finance subjects since my interest in Finance waned ( Not sure if it was because of the dry finance topics we had in last trimester or because the Grass wasn't that green when viewed from the same side ! ). This means I might either specialize in IT & Strategy or just take a good mix of all subjects and do a General MBA.

I also got my first trimester results. Haven't done badly. Got a A,B,B,C in the four subjects ( We have a Grade system ranging from A to F ..A being the best and F the least). I am a bit mystified about the obsession about grades by most of my classmates . MBA lies much beyond grades & formulas.


2 Comments:

  • Grades are really important for some of us! If you want to do an exchange (and I want to go to Beijing for a trimester next year), you have to maintain an average B grade or you can't go. I got A,A,B,C with one result still to come, so I should be OK.

    By Blogger Bogatyr, at 11:39 PM  

  • Thanks Oscillator.

    Carp, Congrats on your grades.Agreed with your point. But I was talking about obsession and servitude of a different kind.

    By Blogger Cogito, at 12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home