Cerebral Shangrila

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Ayn Rand -- A 100 Years

Is Ayn Rand my favorite author ? I don't have an answer to that Question ( For the fear of hurting George Orwell, P.G.Wodehouse & Kalki !) . But I have a deep admiration for Ayn Rand and her heroes . I am not a Howard Roark or a John Galt , but deep in my psyche , thatz what I want to be. It is this idealism which has made Ayn Rand a favorite among the youth.

The year of 2005 marks the birth centenary of Rand. I happened to read a nice article on " The appeal of Ayn Rand" . Having read her The Fountainhead , Atlas Shrugged , Anthem & The Virtue of Selfishness , I wish I had imbibed at least some "objectivism" in my daily life. I haven't yet, but hopefully someday I will .

5 Comments:

  • Many times, my decisions makes my girl ask me the ques, "you think yourself to be Howard Roark or what?" For the simple reason, that's one of my all time favourite books.

    Though wouldn't say she's my fav author - but still Howard Roark definitely is my favourite character other than my other favourite in superheroes - BatMan!!!

    Cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 PM  

  • Arun,

    Just about to finish "fountain head" - my first ayn rand book - Howard Roark is turning out to one heck of a guy

    By Blogger Srihari SN, at 3:19 AM  

  • The lady seems to be too romaticized for me. The Roarks and John galt's are all Rayn's creations, we are all the Keatings of this world and lets face it!
    Anyways giving her the freedom of her ideas and beliefs..I like her too :o)

    By Blogger Abhay, at 11:34 AM  

  • Goat / Hari, Howard Roark is one heck of a guy and The Fountainhead is one of my fav books.

    Abby, The concept isn't romanticized. Its just that in theory it looks too difficult to practice.

    By Blogger Cogito, at 10:54 AM  

  • Its difficult to follow 'objectivism' in real life, as it is defined in the book. My personal interpretation of the book is...live for yourself :)
    Doesnt matter how you do it..ultimately you should be happy at the end of it all...as long as you are happy, ( I mean genuinely happy) end of story!
    As the Floyd song goes...Nothing else matters!!

    By Blogger Ram, at 3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home