Cerebral Shangrila

Sunday, October 23, 2005

specific theory on employment,jobs and career

I know its a poor imitation of John Maynard Keynes. When I entered the MBA program 15 months ago, all I wanted to become was either an Investment Banker or come back to IT Services Industry in a Biz dev role. However, early on in the MBA , I realized that Finance was not my cup of tea and switched to strategy.

The job search process wasn't too easy either. I understood that with loads of experience it was very difficult to shift to something drastically different from what I had been doing before. I finally ended my MBA with three offers .

The first offer was from a Technology Giant ( A firm I really admire ) as a Solutions architect based in Singapore ( A non-technical role where I research on verticals and help the sales team in solutioning and closing deals). However, since the firm is undergoing a lot of restructuring now, they had to defer my offer and I couldn't wait forever.

The second offer is from a leading Market research & consulting firm. My role is as a " Senior research Associate" , where I would be doing technology research in the sectors of IT security & storage(My fav areas !) . The Job would involve market research and consulting to Clients in Asia-Pacific based out of Singapore.

The third offer ( Rather sudden one which just happpened in the last 3 days) is from a "Big 4" Auditing firm . My role would be as a IT auditor working predominantly in areas of IT controls and SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) compliance. This role would be based out of Hyderabad with me having to spend most of the time on-site in the US.

I have decided to take up the second offer and hence would be joining a research & consulting firm and would continue to remain in Singapore.

Although three offers looks good on paper, its a been a last few weeks of struggle,disappointments & perseverance . Because strangely the last two offers got finalized only this week .

So its back to Corporate life from next week but this time I have vowed to remain a lifelong student and I hope that curiosity and thirst stays with me forever !

16 Comments:

  • Well done sir! you've done NBS proud. hope you will be as active a blogger and share the experiences of this new chapter as well.
    Cheers!

    By Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee, at 10:17 PM  

  • Congrats Buddy

    By Blogger ILA (a) இளா, at 11:05 PM  

  • Congrats! Enjoy the sucess.

    By Blogger Abhay, at 1:00 PM  

  • hey congratulations !!! and wish you the best ahead.

    cheers

    By Blogger Vasant, at 1:14 PM  

  • Congrats Cogito!..all the best for the corporate life..once again!:)

    By Blogger Krish, at 2:15 PM  

  • Congrats! and Happy Diwali too :)

    By Blogger Pooja, at 4:36 PM  

  • hey congrats !

    The job sounds interesting !

    One of my dream jobs is in research...!

    Which firm is this Gartner or IDC?

    By Blogger Gautam Ghosh, at 7:05 PM  

  • Vazhthukkal Nanbane!!-Nayag.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

  • Great! Congrats once again dude!!
    Surprised about the third offer!!! Prob I should learn the knack of how to do well in interviews from you!!

    By Blogger Ram, at 2:48 AM  

  • Congrats...looking forward to some more gyaan from u after this....

    By Blogger BeehaG, at 4:15 PM  

  • Thanks everyone !!!

    By Blogger Cogito, at 9:05 PM  

  • congrats dude...back to the corporate world..but a different role...a different perspective..good luck...

    By Blogger Sandhya, at 3:59 AM  

  • Congrats and all the best!!

    By Blogger Tisai, at 9:50 AM  

  • Thanks Sandhya, Siva ..

    By Blogger Cogito, at 3:48 PM  

  • Congrats Cogito. Wish u success in all u do.

    By Blogger PVS, at 12:46 PM  

  • PVS -- Thanks !

    By Blogger Cogito, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home