Cerebral Shangrila

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Long live stupidity

I switched on my notebook PC. Nothing happened. Sensing trouble , I ran the BIOS test . It said "Hard Disk failure" and ever since that its been a nightmare. My warranty just expired and HP support tells me that most likely my Hard disk has conked off.

All my data is lost - my MBA files,photos,emails,address books,music. I have no backup. Its utterly stupid that someone who spent years working on Backup & storage has no backup for his own data. Long live stupidity - at least it has spawned an industry of data recovery whose costs might exceed the residual value of my laptop.

My virtual house is burnt now . Ah its a pain to build it again from scratch . Thank god at least I have my office notebook PC to connect to internet.

thatz about 2 minutes of outpour of anger,frustration. Amen .

10 Comments:

  • Sad to hear that my friend..but I am sure if you google..you'll find ways of fixing it..or find people who can retrieve the Hard disk info.

    My friend had the same problem a few months back. He got the data back..thru some techie guy..who specializes in such issues

    Good luck!!

    By Blogger Narayanan Venkitu, at 7:47 AM  

  • hey tough luck man...i know how it feels coz the same thing happened to me 6 months ago! But umm, thankfully I had backups...since then have not kept any music or movies on my hard disk. hope all is recovered somehow through whatever sources.

    By Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee, at 10:02 AM  

  • Buddy,

    I agree with Narayanan, if you could google for a while, you might find good tools to recover the stuff.

    Second, as a new backup measure, try buying the 180GB USB drive that is available in the market for less than 35 USDs.

    You may take the replica of your notebook hdd once a day, and sync the data. (Try using SyncToy a free utility from Microsoft).

    Being said that, I too don't keep a backup to either my office laptop or my personal laptop. (though we take backup of our photos in CDs).

    So, I have a USB HDD which I am going to connect NOW to sync the data.

    Good Luck,
    Siva

    By Blogger Tisai, at 10:37 AM  

  • u can never rely on all these IT stuff(that is why u changed ur profession too)...Use the Paper Notebook hereon...it is always reliable ;)

    By Blogger gormandizer, at 4:40 PM  

  • we know u r stupid not necesary that u have to so blatantly speak about it..

    By Blogger Hell's Angel, at 5:15 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger ILA (a) இளா, at 7:37 PM  

  • Again You proved that you the core social worker (Mostly social workers works for others not for them)

    By Blogger ILA (a) இளா, at 7:42 PM  

  • Hard Luck Man !!!

    U reminded me to backUp My data :o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:12 PM  

  • BACKUP..most of us forget to do that...I had almost lost all of my thesis data because of that..luckily i didnt lose it..will check out and see if there is a way of retrieving the data..goodluck man..

    By Blogger Sandhya, at 1:21 AM  

  • venkitu - Thx.I am trying that.

    Abhi -- yeah..not a great yr end

    siva -- Thx. I am exactly doing that. Abt to buy a new External USB disk.

    gorm - :-)

    hell - thx for the kind words.

    ila -- yes sir.

    vikas -- pls do

    sandhya -- yeah.learnt it the hard way.

    By Blogger Cogito, at 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home