Cerebral Shangrila

Monday, January 30, 2006

Chennai - Classic & Contemporary

What is true for "The Hindu" is true for Chennai too ( Just a few kms away from the Airport , "The Hindu" has a big hoarding Classic & Contemporary) . With every visit I notice the sweeping changes in the city yet there are some things that never change.

Like the Sunday evening concert at Music Academy. I still saw the same silk sarees & Kadhar veshtis and some excellent rendering of Bhairavi & Rithigowla raaga by Ranjani & Gayathri. It was a Saint thyagaraja special . I was also part of a 500+ crowd that recited Saint Thyagaraja's Pancharatna krithis on Sunday morning at Nanganallur . Its so wonderful to be back in chennai.It also reinforced my interest to start violin classes again. ( What with a seven year old kid sitting next to me and singing better than me but thanks to the crowd my abhaswaram was lost !). I haven't seen the "modern" Chennai and perhaps will never see it.

The weather is great. The Margazhi pani (chill) still persists ( Which is quite uncommon in late Jan) and the mornings are heavenly. I just missed the screening of De Sica's Italian Classic " Bicycle thief" (They had a special screening at Sathyam for classic film lovers) on Saturday. Will try to catch up Rang De Basanti one of these days .

2 Comments:

  • hey man..hope u have a blast in chennai..last weeks or the week befores india today carried a whole segment on chennai and how the city is catching on and leveraging its history to make it more attractive to outiders. and do watch rang de basanti..too bad about bicycle theives..

    By Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee, at 1:28 PM  

  • check out evam.in for schedules

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home