Cerebral Shangrila

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Paulo Coelho - Walk the talk

Paulo Coelho is an amazing man by any standards. I first heard about him when the book " The alchemist" was highly recommended to me by my friends ( Its another interesting fact that I had written "The alchemist" as a book that I want to read in a blogpost and a friend of mine after reading that blogpost gifted it to me when I made my trip to India in '05).

The alchemist was a cult book which was deeply philosophical and mystical. But somehow I found the book to be a bit too over-rated ( It was my opinion then but that could also have been due to the fact that it was a translated book). But now after reading Coelho's interview on NDTV's Walk the Talk , I am amazed at this man.

Paulo Coelho was sent to asylum by his parents when he was a teenager and later also spent time in detention by paramilitary where he suffered electric shocks. From there to one of the most celebrated writers of today is one heck of a journey ! He also talks about his love of Indian culture ( One of his poems was titled "Gita" and was based on Bhagvath Gita and sold more than 5 million copies in Brazil !) . Amazing man.

2 Comments:

  • He is ok... lots of these writers read and then write about what they understood adding drama ot it... It is quite apparent that most management gurus are taking things out of what was already available in the hindu culture and giving it their own colours (save, a passing mention into their love of indian culture, come on now...) Where is the true appreciation for the indus valley civilation culture also known as hinduism?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:28 PM  

  • anon -- He thinks deeply and I liked that abt him.

    uma - thx !

    By Blogger Cogito, at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home