Cerebral Shangrila

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Rainbow Quiz - Identify the personality - Week 13

Here is the next weekly "Rainbow" quiz , where I would be giving 7 clues (Hence the name Rainbow) about a personality. Try to discover the person in the least number of clues . You can either leave the answer as a comment / email me . Feedback/ suggestions welcome. Googling is not preferred but then its just for fun and so go ahead if you need to.

This week's personality is a musician of phenomenal talent and I discovered the meaning of "dulcet" in his music. Its a privilege that I lived in the same street that X did for a few years in Chennai.

clue # 1 : X was born in the lineage of an illustrious disciple of the great saint musician Thyagaraja.

clue # 2 : . At the early age of 12, X started his musical career as an accompanying instrumentalist.

clue # 3 : He revolutionized the style of Y (name of the instrument) playing by inventing a whole new technique that is designed to best suit the needs of Indian Classical Music and establishing a unique style that came to be known as 'X Bani'.

clue # 4 : He has been in great demand for accompanying vocalists, and has accompanied most of the great vocal virtuosos in the 50's before branching out as a solo artist.

clue # 5 : At the Edinburgh Music Festival in 1965, Yehudi Menuhin, the renowned musician, presented him with his Italian Y (name of the instrument), impressed by X's technique.

clue # 6 : His son and his daughter follow the footsteps of their great father by playing the same instrument.

clue # 7 : X has also composed several compositions and is particularly famous for the Thillanas. X recounts, "The limitations of age tell on me but I am not able to control my creativity. I am nothing without music. Even in all my future births, I want to be born only as a musician. Music has not only been my livelihood but also my path to spirituality."

Identify X & Y.

4 Comments:

  • Is it violin and Lalgudi Jayaraman?? taking a wild guess!

    By Blogger RK, at 6:04 PM  

  • Wow. Not a bad guess at all. You are right !

    By Blogger Cogito, at 12:39 PM  

  • It is Lalgudi on the first question itself. The fallacy is that you never stayed in that street, it was you grandparents family which stayed there. Though I was never glued to the music at that age ( may be I never thought they are talented people) that I used to go for morning walk ( rather Lalgudi used to walk and I used to jog)in the same park. It used to look funny Lalgudi in Dhoti and sports shoes ( rather canvas shoes). It is a pity when Calcutta Krishnamoorthy another senior musician and our neighbour, offered to teach us for free, none of us showed interest to join.
    KM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 PM  

  • May be I stayed there, never lived.I was too young back then to realize his greatness. I have a fleeting memory of seeing him take an evening walk in the street.

    By Blogger Cogito, at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home