Cerebral Shangrila

Saturday, March 05, 2011

Bade Achhe Lagte Hain

I was standing at the Sydney airport, waiting for my baggage to arrive. Like most others, I was glued into the phone, trying to catch up with lost email. I looked up and there he was waiting for his luggage.

Is that Amit Kumar - the playback singer ? He looked much younger than his age ( I did a quick math based on what I knew and expected him to be at least 55). Is it the same Amit Kumar, son of Kishore Kumar, one of India's greatest artistes? Nostalgia swept me and in a typical Bollywood flashback all his hit songs ran through my mind - " Bade Achhe Lagte Hain ( Ballika vadhu - My favorite song of his), " Yaad Aa Rahi Hai" (Love Story), "Uthe Sabke Kadam" ( Baaton Baaton Mein), " Deewana Dil" ( Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa).

I pondered if I should go up and speak to him. The heart said, "what do you have to lose"? - Just do it.


Me : Hi Amit, I am XYZ and a big fan of your dad and you.

Amit : Thanks. How are you?

Me: I am fine, thanks. So did you just arrive from India?

Amit : Haan Yaar. We just landed and am waiting for the luggage.

Me: Yeah, I do know that you are here for the "Rahul & I" concert with Ashaji.

Amit : Yes. I came today. Ashaji is coming tomorrow. Are you coming for that concert?

Me: Unfortunately, No.

Amit : So, where are you from in India?

Me : I am from Madras (Funny how I still say Madras to people older than me).

Amit : For someone from Madras, you speak good Hindi ( The highest compliment I ever got / possibly would ever get for my Hindi pronunciation!).

Me : I am still a learner. If you don't mind, can I take a photo with you?

He obliged immediately and posed with his arms around my neck.

Amit : Can you check my customs declaration form? Your country men ask a lot of questions.

I quickly scan through the card and all seemed well.

Me: Are you singing "Bade Achhe Lagte Hai" at the concert?

Amit : May be. Audience mostly request for it. Actually we haven't finalized the song list yet.

Me : What is your favorite song of your Dad's?

At that moment, we reached the customs gate. The customs officer allows me to pass through with no check but asks Amit to go through the scanner. Ha, I wish I had heard the answer to that question. So long !

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home